Sunday 26 June 2011

Home alone

After two months crammed full of exams/deadlines and a few days of partying/being sociable, I am finally enjoying some time to myself. I find there is something so refreshing about being alone for a while, I'm no introvert but sometimes I do like to just be by myself; to read, think, pray and just generally have a rest.
There is nothing better, after a stressful time, than reading outside in the sunshine. Letting your mind be carried far away from the cares that had been pressing upon you and allowing it to be totally absorbed by some distant place or time is so refreshing. I find in striving to understand the feelings, hopes and dreams of other people I can see my own in a different light and understand them better.
I also like sit and listen to music, not the type of music I am subjected to in clubs, but real music with lyrics that read like a poem. I know that students especially always seem to have music playing in the background of thier lives and I am no exception, but it is rare that I actually listen to the words. However when I do I always find something interesting and often surprising to occupy my thoughts for a while.
I know that today's society holds up a busy social life as some kind of ideal, but i think... every now and again... it's good just to sit alone and think. Having said that, by the end of this week 'home alone' at uni, I'll probably be longing for a packed diary again...

Here is my list of the best books to make you think:
A Thousand Splendid Suns (Khaled Hosseini)
This was written by the same guy who wrote 'The Kite Runner' which I remember being insanely popular when I worked in a bookshop a few years ago. I actually prefer 'A Thousand Splendid Suns', although they are both thought-provoking and moving stories set in Afghanistan during some of it's most tumultuous times, as it tells the story of two women and the contrast between their lives and mine really affected me.

Nineteen Eighty-Four (George Orwell)
Every time I read this book I understand its relevance to our society today a little bit more. It always reminds me to cherish love, peace and truth because without them the world would be a very dark place indeed.

Wild Swans : Three Daughters of China (Jung Chang)
The stories in this book are made all the more poignant because they are all true. I can't even begin to describe this book in one paragraph; it is truly extraordinary and will make you feel almost every emotion imaginable.


No comments:

Post a Comment