Saturday 25 June 2011

I do apologise for my lack of posting recently. I know I said I would be back as soon as my exams finished but I've been totally distracted by all manner of things, including a book which so totally absorbed me I could think of little else until I had finished it. The storyline and characters captured by imagination so completely I have been pondering on it for days; in clubs, out shopping, having coffee... you name it. It's a classic, in truth I can't believe it's taken me this long to get round to reading it.
'North and South' (Elizabeth Gaskell) has officially soared its way to the top of my "favourite books of all time" list. Showing 'Pride and Prejudice' lacking in gritty conflict and real-life challenges. The possibility of enduring love at the end of 'North and South' is made all the more precious because of the suffering that comes before it. This is a book full of developing relationships: between the workmen and the masters, between Miss Hale and Mr Thornton, between the North and South of the country. All of these relationships start full of prejudices and conflicts. It is fascinating to watch their very nature change through the events in the book and equally fascinating is how each of these individual storylines intertwine and affect each other as events unfold.
Like I say, it captivated me... hopefully it will you too.

North and South
North and South (Book)

North & South
North & South (DVD)
For a more comprehensive review and summary: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_and_South_(1855_novel)

No comments:

Post a Comment